Sunday, January 30, 2011

The King's Speech


Everyone kept telling me I needed to see this film. I found out why. It's heartwarming, hilarious, and well acted. I've been a Colin Firth fan ever since the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice made its VHS way into my heart (side note - the actress who played Elizabeth in Pride & Prejudice plays Geoffrey (not Gregory) Rush's wife in this film). I was blown away by Colin's performance as the stammering Duke and reluctant King. The scenes between Colin and Geoffrey who played Lionel, the Australian speech defect instructor, cracked me up (fuck fuck fuck fuck, tits!). And, as always, Helena Bonham Carter made every scene she was in a tad bit funnier. This was the first film I didn't automatically think she was Carla from Fight Club (in every other film, I see her as Carla...kinda like how John Stamos will always be Uncle Jessie to me). I loved how the story unfolded, showing the personal side of the King and all the challenges he faced and overcame thanks to his courage and help from his friend Lionel. Very inspiring. And, shout out to Guy Pearce, the best acting chameleon of his generation. I didn't recognize him for the first 5 min he was on the screen. Rating - A must see. Colin Firth deserves the Best Actor for this one. And, Best Picture would not be out of the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment