Monday, January 17, 2011

Somewhere

Sophia Coppala's latest film stretches the word mundane to the farthest visual edges of the big screen. But, I believe (err, I hope) that was the point of the film. If so, than bravo to Ms. Coppala. Stephen Dorff played Johnny Marcos perfectly, if he was playing a role at all. I wouldn't be suprised if he was channeling his own pockets of mundane party living in LA. His relationship with his daughter played by Elle Fanning (sister of Dakota) is the only thing that seems to give him purpose in life. The film ends in the most annoying way any film can end - without a conclusion. Where is Jhonny Marcos going in the last scene? I guess the fact that he's going somewhere is the point. For the whole movie, he was figuritvely moving in mundane circles. Maybe that's what LA celeb life can do to you. Ms. Coppala's film had me stepping back and looking at my own life to see where it's going. So for that and for bringing Stephen Dorff out of the has-been actor pool, I thank Ms. Coppala. Rating - DVD this one. Not as good as Lost in Translation, but interesting just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment